Mr. Michel Chapalain started as sea as a cadet in 1983 on the “Fina Italie”, a tanker owned by Fina France SA . He spend his navigational time as an engineer & deck officer on the Fina Italie until 1990. He then moved to Garcynski & Traploir, (Vinci Energie ) as Business Engineer, in charge of medium & low voltage networks, trans-former substation & public lighting development.
Back at sea in 1992, with “Services & Transports”, as Engineer then subsequently Staff Engineer on the 6600 V electrical Propulsion Wind Assisted Sailing Cruise Vessel “Club Med 2”, he implemented HSE standards for HV on a Cruise Vessel.
On 1995, he contracted several voyages with Louis Dreyfus Armateurs on Gear Bulk carriers as chief mate.
In 1998, he was promoted to Superintendent of Cruise Vessels of Services & Trans-ports, in charge of the “Club Med 2” and the “Paul Gauguin”.
In 2003 he moved to Louis Dreyfus Armateurs where he was in charge of CGG Seis-mic research vessels.
In 2004, Mr. Chapalain joined Vships Leisure SAM in Monaco, in charge of Technical, Human and Operational Management of passenger vessels for different customers & various type of ships ( Cruise Vessel, Ferry boat, Ro-Pax, High Speed Craft, River boat).
In 2014, he decided to setup his own company AVELAJ Marine Services
Captain Class 1′ (STCW’95 II/2 – Unlimited : ENSM Nantes/ Marseille
Chief engineer STCW 95 Reg III/2 (Unlimited) ENSM Nantes/ Marseille
- Crew resource management (Warsash maritime academy)
- High Voltage Management Training (CEGELEC)
- Ship simulation(Warsash maritime academy)
- Risk Management and Incident Investigation (Warsash maritime academy)
- Designated Person Ashore course
- Company Security Officer course
Full Management of various passenger vessels (Cruise, Ropax HSC, river boats) including technical, crew, sanitation, energy and claim management, as well as relations with Class, Flags and other regulatory Bodies.
Planning, preparing and/or performing Vessel conversions and upgrades such as :
- Dry Dock and interior ship renovations
- Garbage & sewage treatment plant retrofits according to various local regula-tions
- HVAC Retrofits
- Setup of specifications and contracts with Shipyards & other contractors
- Energy efficiency retrofits ( e.g.Propulsion)
- Claim Management, ( P&I, Hull & Machinery)
- Vessel Condition Surveys
- ISO , ISM , ISPS Procedures
- Marpol & Solas Implementations
- Development and implementation of energy efficiency plan of Ships (SEEMP)